10 things you might not know about Weston College
PUBLISHED: 10:58 14 November 2016 | UPDATED: 11:28 14 November 2016
Weston College is continually growing, it is Ofsted outstanding and now has its own degree-level leg – University Centre Weston. Its staff and students often appear within the pages of the Mercury for their successes – and most Westonian’s know of the college’s plans to transform buildings such as the Winter Gardens and the Arosfa. But, we have put together a list of quirky facts you might not know about the college.
1. The college’s Knightstone Campus is the tallest building in Weston-super-Mare.
2. The Weston College Group is the second-largest employer in Weston-super-Mare – beaten only by Weston General Hospital. The college has approximately 850 full-time-equivalent staff.
3. Former boyband singer George Shelley, who is from Clevedon, went to Weston College. But he is not the only famous alumni – Alfred Leete, the creator of the iconic World War One ‘Your Country Needs You’ poster of Lord Kitchener studied in the Hans Price building in Lower Church Road, which is now home to the college’s conference centre.
4. The college’s Knighstone Campus comes complete with a sports hall and gym – on its seventh and eighth floor.
5. Princess Anne and Lenny Henry opened the college’s University Campus at two separate ceremonies.
6. The college’s staff are a talkative bunch – an average of 20,300 emails are sent every day between staff members, that is more than five million emails every year.
7. The college’s teaching sprawls far further than Weston-super-Mare – it is also the designated service for providing education in prisons across the South West.
8. The college’s car park at its Knightstone Campus has a Roman villa underneath it.
9. The college delivers apprenticeships at degree level.
10. A Japanese anime cartoon has appropriated Weston College as its setting.