Birds and tortoises rescued after aviary catches fire
PUBLISHED: 07:44 03 May 2018 | UPDATED: 09:14 04 May 2018
Birds and tortoises were rescued by fire crews after an aviary caught fire in Highbridge yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon.
Crews from Burnham-on-Sea and Bridgwater were called to a house, in Burnham Road, at 2.20pm after the bird cage accidently caught fire.
The incident commander confirmed the birds and tortoises within the aviary all survived the incident.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival, the officer in charge confirmed a wooden aviary, approximately 5ft by 8ft, was issuing smoke.
“Crews got to work in breathing apparatus and used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.
“There was 10 per cent fire damage to the aviary, the fire started accidentally, it is suspected a heat lamp was too close to bedding.”