Don't miss a story sign up to Weston Mercury's FREE daily newsletter CLICK HERE

Man released from hospital murdered neighbour hours later and cut off victim’s penis

PUBLISHED: 16:40 17 October 2017 | UPDATED: 17:15 17 October 2017

Jeffrey Barry will be sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on November 10. Picture: Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

Jeffrey Barry will be sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on November 10. Picture: Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

Avon and Somerset Constabulary.

A paranoid schizophrenic murdered a refugee and cut off his penis hours after being released from a psychiatric hospital near Weston-super-Mare against the advice of staff.

Jeffrey Barry, aged 56, attacked his neighbour Kamil Ahmad, aged 49, at his flat in Wells Road in Bristol at about 2am on July 6 last year.

Bristol Crown Court heard that Barry held a long-standing grudge against Iraqi-born Kurd Mr Ahmad and had called police weeks before, claiming he was a rapist, a paedophile and a terrorist in Iraq.

He murdered Mr Ahmad in a ‘savage and sustained’ knife attack hours after being released from the Cygnet Hospital in Kewstoke.

The court heard that psychiatrists had opposed Barry’s release, but a mental health tribunal ruled that he should be discharged.

Barry, who is being held in Broadmoor Hospital, denied murdering Mr Ahmad and instead admitted manslaughter by diminished responsibility.

But a jury unanimously convicted him of murder after two hours of deliberations at the end of the two-week trial.

Mrs Justice May told the jury: “Notwithstanding the verdict, there are issues of illness here.

Bristol Crown Court where Barry was found guilty today (Tuesday). Bristol Crown Court where Barry was found guilty today (Tuesday).

“Mr Barry is in Broadmoor for a reason. He is there because he has a mental illness.

“It wasn’t one that was enough to reduce the offence in this case but it exists all the same. It is a chronic, enduring mental illness that requires treatment.”

Barry was racist towards Mr Ahmad, who moved in about three years after him, and claimed he had sex with a fellow resident.

On May 24 last year, he told support workers he wanted to be notorious and murder a member of the public, allegedly adding: “Kamil would be top of my list.”

Barry also wrote notes saying that he planned to kill people living in the house, including Mr Ahmed.

In a phone call to police on May 25 last year, Barry told an operator: “He has raped a vulnerable person.

“He has committed two acts of theft and he has broken a television. He is a paedophile and a terrorist in Iraq.”

However, Barry was known to be a heavy drinker, a cannabis user and for behaving in a sexually inappropriate manner.

On June 13, 2016 he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act after being filmed on CCTV performing a sex act, wearing only a police hat.

He was taken to Callington Road Hospital in Bristol before being transferred to the Cygnet Hospital.

A mental health tribunal ruled on June 28 that Barry was well enough to be released, after he promised not to drink or take drugs.

Consultant forensic psychiatrist Dr Roger Thomas said the tribunal was unaware of how long Barry had been off clozapine.

They were also unaware of his recent relapse, or of concerns raised by staff at the Milestones Trust, which manages the Wells Road property.

The staff reported that Barry was becomingly increasingly obsessed with Mr Ahmad and was being sexually inappropriate.

Barry left the Kewstoke hospital on July 6, 2016 without a care plan in place, despite Dr Thomas recommending that he be detained for further assessment.

Staff at the Milestones Trust were not involved in the decision and were only informed of it a few hours before his return.

They attempted to get an injunction to protect Mr Ahmad but there was not enough time.

Barry returned to Bristol at about 5.30pm and went to two bars, where he was seen with seven drinks.

At 1am the next morning, having returned to his flat, Barry called a helpline answered by community psychiatric nurse Joanne Wood.

She told the court: “He said something about he didn’t want to go to bed and he felt like punching somebody.

“I said it was not acceptable to hit people because you feel like it, and to be responsible for your actions.

“He responded by saying that he was criminally insane and not responsible for his actions, and ended the call.”

Ms Wood said she spoke to colleagues before calling police on 101 to report what Barry had told her.

CCTV images showed Barry knocking on Mr Ahmad’s door at 1.30am and leaving, covered in blood, at 2.15am.

Officers arrived after Barry called 999, saying that he had killed Mr Ahmad.

During the call Barry said: “Course it’s murder isn’t it? I’m going to say diminished responsibility.”

The day after the murder, police discovered a note in Barry’s room saying: “The fact is, I have acted out my entire psychiatric history. I’m very well. Sorry.”

Home Office pathologist Dr Amanda Jeffery examined Mr Ahmad’s body and found injuries to his face, head and neck.

There were 25 stab wounds to his face, including his eyes, and fatal stab wounds to his stomach, right arm and left wrist.

She found Mr Ahmad’s penis had been cut off after his death.

In December 2013, Mr Ahmad suffered facial injuries after being allegedly attacked by Barry. No further action was taken.

Mr Ahmad also reported to police feeling scared of the defendant, in April last year.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Other News Stories


Hundreds of families enjoyed a day out at Weston Model Railway Exhibition at the weekend.

Read more

A Royal British Legion (RBL) branch has celebrated the new year by marking its 90th anniversary.

Read more

Police are searching for a man who failed to turn up at court to face allegations of assault and criminal damage.

Read more

Animal lovers are being given the chance to walk across burning wood embers to raise money for charity.

Read more

New holiday cottages could be built to help a village golf club ‘remain viable’.

Read more

Nearly 200 students from a Worle secondary school have taken a first step into writing careers by having stories published in an anthology.

Read more

Revellers gathered at a village pub with pots and pans to bless the orchard during the historic Somerset tradition of wassailing.

Read more

An exhibit of ‘national significance’ will be displayed at Weston Museum later this year.

Read more

Emergency services were called to Burnham-on-Sea following an incident which saw somebody trapped in a crashed car after failing to stop when ordered by police.

Read more

A Weston-super-Mare woman drove away happy after winning a car worth thousands of pounds.

Read more

Most Read News

Read Online

Read the Weston Worle and Somerset Mercury e-edition E-edition

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 7°C

min temp: 6°C

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Send Your Letters
Order Photos
Family notices
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

Somerset's trusted business finder