Report by Charlotte Richardson , chief reporter
Friday, July 13, 2012
YOUTHS are reportedly pulling their trousers down and exposing themselves to women and children, arranging mass fights between schools and throwing excrement at each other in a children’s play area.
North Worle Local Action Team (LAT) heard on Monday how Castle Batch has once again become a magnet for antisocial behaviour.
A few years ago there were a number of problems at the area, off Magdalen Way in Worle, but things calmed down when the revamped community and children’s centre opened in 2011.
But North Somerset councillor Sonia Russe told the LAT on Monday a brownie leader had been forced to call the police to the centre recently when her group met and she felt ‘threatened’ by the youths gathering.
A resident who lives near the Batch said youths had pulled their trousers down and exposed themselves to his wife and children, shouting racist remarks at her at the same time.
He said youths also throw bags of dog excrement at each other, that his child’s tent had been stolen from their garden and the area is no longer ‘a nice place to live’.
The father said he called the police about the first two matters, but no official action was taken. He says youths exposing themselves has become a fairly regular occurrence around the area.
LAT chairman Peter Hardaway said he recently witnessed a fight between about 150 youths from three local secondary schools there.
He says the battle was pre-arranged through social media website Facebook and left one boy with a broken nose.
He said a 10-year-old boy was also assaulted last month and had his bike stolen on the Batch.
Mr Hardaway said: “It’s disappointing after all the work we have done there.”
My Hardaway has worked relentlessly over the past few years to seek funding for the 2011 centre revamp and other facilities in the area.
Cllr Russe added: “Peter has worked hard and put in the time to try and keep kids occupied.”