Weston capture league title and promotion

PUBLISHED: 10:09 17 March 2017 | UPDATED: 10:09 17 March 2017

Weston 1st XV.

Weston 1st XV.


Weston secured the championship title in style and set a new club record of 22 games without defeat in the process.

Weston 70 pts

Teignmouth 3 pts

Weston secured a new club record run of 22 games without defeat in the league and more importantly, secured the championship of SW1W and a return to National League rugby.

Weston began the game at a cracking pace and following a number of phases they moved the ball wide and flanker Dan Spelman, back from injury, was on hand in support to touch down in the corner with just three minutes on the clock.

Teignmouth replied with a penalty from 35 metres out, which also proved to be their only score of the game.

The home backs were on fire and with just 18 minutes gone, full-back Chris Young fielded a kick, beat two attacking players and cut through the defence to score a great individual try. James Mackay made the conversion.

Weston did not take the foot of the throttle and when another speculative long kick was fielded by Young, the Weston backs quickly moved the ball wide and Watkins evaded the defence to score in the corner.

Just four minutes later and the backs shredded the Teignmouth defence and Tuttiett finished a great move with a sprint for the line to score near the posts. James Mackay kicked the conversion and Weston had secured a bonus point after just half-an-hour.

In time added on, Weston were awarded a penalty and with insufficient time for a line-out, James Mackay kicked the goal and the teams turned round with Weston having a commanding 27-3 lead.

Right from the kick-off, Weston were on the attack, the forwards drove rapidly into the visitors 22 and winger Robbie Mackay took a neat short offload to sprint through and score under the posts. James Mackay kicked the conversion.

From the restart, the hosts worked the ball through several phases before a neat kick to touch by Mackay set up an opportunity. Spelman stole the Teignmouth line-out and the ball was worked wide at speed, a great offload brought a chance for Young to come into the line and scored near the posts. Mackay’s conversion took the Weston total past 40.

Watkins scored a brilliant brace of tries with the ball worked quickly to the left wing. His second of the half completed his hat-trick and took Weston past 50. Two minutes later and Morgan picked up a sharp short pass to cut through the middle and score at the posts.

There was no let up for Teignmouth, who to their credit had never given up, but were just outgunned and outplayed. Robbie Mackay scored two more tries completing his second half hat-trick. The last was right on full-time and the referee called the end of the game with Weston deservedly victors by 70-3

This was a very special day for Weston. They had produced a vintage performance in front of a large crowd. They had gained a bonus point win, secured a new club record run of 22 games without defeat in the league, but most importantly they secured the championship title and a return next season to National League rugby.

This victory was met with roars of approval from the home crowd and sparked a champagne celebration on the pitch where the first team were joined by the Weston Wanderers, who had also posted a big win and had secured the championship of Somerset 3 South and promotion.

Other Sport Stories

Yesterday, 17:41

Weston-super-Mare were downed 3-1 by East Thurrock United today (Saturday) as they lost their sixth match in a row.

Fri, 12:41

Weston-super-Mare head coach Scott Bartlett has added to his 18-man strong squad ahead of the visit of East Thurrock United to The Woodspring Stadium tomorrow (Saturday).

Fri, 09:48

Weston defeated Old Redcliffians to reach the final of the Webb Ellis Somerset Cup.

Fri, 09:47

Two players for Hornettes have been selected to represent the England Deaf side at Devon at the weekend.

Fri, 09:46

Winscombe defeated Tor for the second time in as many weeks.

Fri, 09:45

Winscombe Under-18 Girls enjoyed victory over last year’s National Club champions Pulborough in a friendly match.

Fri, 09:45

Weston Under-12s gained revenge over Gordano, with a late try giving them a narrow victory.

Fri, 09:44

Cheddar suffered a disappoint week, with two deafeat which drops them down to fourth place.

Fri, 09:43

Banwell hit back from being two goals down against Nailsea United Reserves, to record an excellent victory.

Fri, 09:42

Uphill Castle A reached the Robert Keyes Cup final after defeating South Park Rangers after extra time.

Most Read Sport

Read Online

Read the Weston Worle and Somerset Mercury e-edition E-edition

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 14°C

min temp: 8°C

Useful Links

Advertise in the paper
Submit a Story
Subscribe to the paper
Send Your Letters
Order Photos
Family notices
Reader Travel

Family Notices 24

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists

Local business directory

Somerset's trusted business finder