Report by Tom Wright , Reporter
Saturday, April 21, 2012
TIME to put your feet up and relax over the weekend.
The usual selection of coffee mornings and jumble sales are joined by one or two more peculiar items…
* Sandford – The annual big breakfast will be held at the village hall from 8.30am to noon this morning.
* Bleadon – Coronation Hall in Coronation Road will hold its regular village market from 9am-12.30pm.
* Banwell – A boat race will be held today to mark the 125th anniversary of the village fire station. People are asked to meet at the East Street station from 10-1pm before the boats are sailed down the River Banwell. NOTE – the Mercury were previously told by organisers it would be held on Sunday but that is not the case.
* Congresbury – St Andrew’s Church off Church Drive will hold a hot drinks and doughnuts morning from 10am to noon.
* Milton – A coffee morning and craft sale will be held at Milton Methodist Church in Milton Hill from 10am to noon. Proceeds will go to Weston General Hospital’s oncology unit.
* Weston – A jubilee coffee morning will be held at Clarence Park Baptist Church in Walliscote Road on Saturday from 10am to noon.
* Yatton – The village market will be held at the village hall in High Street from 10am to noon.
* Winscombe – The bicentenary of Lynch Chapel will be commemorated today with and arts and crafts display from 11am-4pm. At 4pm there will be a time for praise.
* Redhill – Fancy a ploughman’s lunch? Then why not pop down to the village hall in Church Road between noon and 2pm and have one and help raise money for the church at the same time.
* Winscombe – Weston Cats Protection will hold a jumble sale at 2pm at the Sandford Road community centre. Donations welcome from 10am.
* Cleeve – The pantomime season is behind us for 2012. Oh no it isn’t (sorry)!!! The Friends Of Cleeve Over Sixties will hold its own pantomime and dinner at the village hall off Main Road tonight. For ticket details call Lin on 01934 828515 or June on 838544 ahead of tonight’s event.
* St Georges – Chalice Morris Men will perform at The Woolpack in Shepherds Way at 7.30pm ahead of St George’s Day.
* Weston – A 100th anniversary concert about the Titanic will be held at the Blakehay Theatre tonight. Tickets for the evening, supported by the RAFA Concert Band, are priced £5-7.50 and on sale from the box office on 01934 654493.
* Weston – Classic cars will be on display in Weston following the Brimar car run from Brent Knoll to the town centre. They will be on display at The Lawns from 12.30pm.
* Winscombe – The garden at Watcombe in 92 Church Road will be open to the public from 2-5.30pm. Entry costs £3.
* Weston – Scouts from across the district will be holding a St George’s Day parade along the seafront. They will walk along the sea front from Marine Lake and then by Weston College before they go past The Playhouse and arrive at Grove Park. It will take place at about 2.30pm.
If you have an event going on why not let us know by calling 01934 422500 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively tell everyone about it by visiting the Mercury Facebook page.
And if you see anything this weekend, whether it be breaking news, a beautiful sunset, or something a little bit unusual, why not add it to our new interactive iwitness24 website at http://weston.iwitness24.co.uk