I was appalled this morning to hear on the news that Portishead Open Air Pool may be closing for good in the next few days, this pool is an important community resource and a part of the towns heritage. If North Somerset Council are unwilling to continue
I was appalled this morning to hear on the news that Portishead Open Air Pool may be closing for good in the next few days, this pool is an important community resource and a part of the towns heritage.
If North Somerset Council are unwilling to continue to run this facility for the benefit of its council taxpayers then the pool should be handed over to the people of Portishead to run.
A few weeks ago I contacted Councillor Elfan Ap Rees with a proposal to form a trust to run the pool, I requested access to outline financial information to allow a detailed proposal to be drawn up but no information was forthcoming.
It is my concern that North Somerset Council want this pool closed so they can sell this prime seafront site for development. Once the pool is closed the council will say that they have a responsibility to the taxpayer to obtain the best return possible on the land and it will be sold for development as apartments. This is the way the council works, run it down, close it then sell it. I am prepared to do whatever I can to ensure this pool stays open and would like to hear from anyone who feels the same.
You may also want to watch:
Roger Whitfield - firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 2 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 3 Weston son thanks his 'hard working father' for Father's Day
- 4 Large house and grounds in a favoured semi-rural Weston village
- 5 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 6 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 7 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 8 Radical overhaul of bus network could bring £50m boost to West
- 9 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 10 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston