Day-to-day running of our parish
RE: YOUR article on page 5 of the September 18 issue of the Somerset Mercury Resignation follows gay complaint , I wish to make a few comments following your article which reported the resignation of former
RE: YOUR article on page 5 of the September 18 issue of the Somerset Mercury "Resignation follows 'gay' complaint", I wish to make a few comments following your article which reported the resignation of former parish councillor Margaret Jordan of Compton Bishop Parish Council.
It has come to my attention that the chairman of our council, Councillor Eddie Farley, supports Councillor Jordan in maintaining that she did not make the homophobic statement "what do gays know about family life?" Cllr Farley was not present when the comment was made and so he is clearly accepting the words of one of his councillors above the words of another.
I feel that this is unacceptable chairmanship on his part.
Cllr Farley should remember the day-to-day running of our parish should primarily be the responsibility of this council and not the Standards Committee at Sedgemoor. He may be unhappy with the 'inept human relations handling' but, at the end of the day, he has a duty to ensure that all members of his council feel treated fairly and equally.
You may also want to watch:
COUNCILLOR BYRNE - Wavering Down House, Cross
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 6 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 7 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 8 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 9 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 10 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset