Desperate for a quiet place to do some work and research, I headed off to Weston's main library.
Desperate for a quiet place to do some work and research, I headed off to Weston's main library. You can imagine my surprise and disbelief when a librarian growled at me that I was not allowed to use my laptop because it "hasn't been PAT tested."
Even now I find it amazing that the guardians of our town's books and learned reference texts are so engorged on their own authority that they consider a humble (North Somerset Council, by the way) battery-powered laptop to be a potentially lethal hazard. Got to love their parochial power.
It's great to know that our library service moves with the times and welcomes those who wish to research and work. Maybe the librarians realise that one day computers will replace them and are using their influence while they can.
You may also want to watch:
Worle Moor Road, Weston Village
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 3 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 6 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 7 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 8 Doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 9 Urgent call for Covid vaccine volunteers in North Somerset
- 10 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site