Insult added to injury
WITH reference to last week s article about the lady who may have to give up her hospital volunteer work, I would like to add my own grievance at the removal of the same bus route.
WITH reference to last week's article about the lady who may have to give up her hospital volunteer work, I would like to add my own grievance at the removal of the same bus route.
As no specific reference was made to the axing of the 5a (it was to be replaced by the route No 5), I naively assumed this meant the No 5 bus would detour from the Ebdon Road roundabout to Ebdon Grounds on its way to and from Sainsbury's. This has not proved to be the case and, as the lady stated, we are now faced with a 10 minute walk to our nearest bus stop; not far as long as it's not raining or you don't have heavy shopping to carry. We are now left without direct access to our local supermarket (Sainsbury's), our local village (Worle), the hospital and Weston town centre.
Our service was only hourly and I now discover that the No 5 service has been increased to every 20 minutes instead of half hourly. To add insult to injury, ACL also operates the No 5 route.
The No 5a was the only bus to serve the crematorium and its cemetery; the nearest No 7 bus stops are a tidy walk up hill for many elderly people. Not all of us have our own transport and those of us who do are being encouraged to leave our cars at home in favour of public transport. What public transport? Some of us may have our bus passes but we still pay our council tax.
You may also want to watch:
CAROL A EDWARDS
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 3 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 4 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 10 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
Wick St. Lawrence