Nothing to do with legality
IN HIS letter last week regarding smoking at Weston Hospital, Geoff Malham misses the point.
IN HIS letter last week regarding smoking at Weston Hospital, Geoff Malham misses the point. It is nothing to do with the legality or otherwise of smoking but the sheer inappropriateness of permitting the practice anywhere in a health facility.
Recent research has shown that smoking costs the NHS more that �5 billion a year. 18 per cent of all deaths in the UK can be attributed to smoking, with associated illness and disability putting a huge burden on the service.
Witnessing a patient (as I have) in a dressing gown, crouched on the ground by the entrance, smoking whilst connected through the nose to an oxygen bottle is bizarre, not to say grotesque, under the circumstances.
Weston hospital is failing in its duty of care to patients and visitors by turning a blind eye to the flouting of its own rules.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 8 Man charged with murder after woman dies 21 years after being set on fire
- 9 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced