“Better Value Out of Catchment?”
- Credit: Archant
AS SCHOOLS vie for league table position, parents are increasingly selective as to which school their children attend, to the extent that many families move house specifically to live within the catchment area of their preferred school.
Mel Kennedy, from CJ Hole, tells us why there are benefits to buying outside of school catchment areas.
Property prices in such areas have typically risen faster than the national average, and property in the catchment areas of the country’s top 50 community primary schools is on average 33 per cent higher than property in the local surrounding areas*.
This provides an opportunity for those who do not have children, or whose children have moved on, to benefit from lower property prices.
Districts adjacent to school catchment areas are not necessarily inferior to those within catchment, and if you are a buyer falling into this category you might do well to question preconceptions as to what constitutes a “good area”.
You may also want to watch:
Out-of-catchment homes are often better value than those close to the popular schools. “Better value” means different things to different buyers, but could mean that for the same price you could expect to find better accommodation, larger garden, nicer condition or additional parking.
So if schools do not figure in your life or your children attend an independent school, then take advantage of the hidden discount offered to those buying “on the other side of the street”.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 3 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 4 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 5 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 6 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 9 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
For more advice on how CJ Hole can help you find a new home call 01934 512537.