Modern, versatile living in a historic manor house
- Credit: Fine & Country
A grand 17th-century four-double-bedroom manor house, with two-bedroom annex, set in four acres of land in a medieval Somerset village.
Given a Georgian façade in 1824, the Grade-II listed home, in the rural community of Christon, is approached via an imposing stone wall, gated entrance with grand pillars and across a sweeping gravel driveway with a magnificent copper beech tree in the middle.
The house comprises; entrance hall, sitting room, dining room, kitchen-breakfast room, inner hallway, lobby, boot room and cloakroom on the ground floor, while the first floor consists of a drawing room, the main bathroom and the bedrooms, the master being en-suite.
Features of the sitting room include an original fireplace and log burner, French doors opening onto the formal gardens, workings shutters, window seats, picture rails and a Jotul wood-burning stove set into the chimney recess, with a slate hearth and carved marble surround.
An original ornate fireplace with finely-carved Jacobean mantlepiece is the focal point of the upstairs drawing room, which also has wood-panelled walls and two window seats.
An open-plan kitchen-dining room and family room make up the annex ground floor, with the bedrooms and a bathroom, including bath and shower, upstairs. The wide inglenook fireplace in the sitting room is believed to have housed the original range and bread oven and now contains a large wood-burning stove. It has a separate entrance plus a lockable door upstairs leading to the main house, so could be easily merged again if required.
Outside, mature gardens surround the house, made up of a walled garden of well-stocked mature borders, ornamental gardens, orchard, wildlife area, fruit trees, a weathered historic stone-carved family crest, a rose walk and a hidden gravel seating area.
An enclosed courtyard can be found at the back of the property, with a large workshop and another walled courtyard beyond. There is also a large four-car garage and parking area off the circular driveway.
A rear courtyard can be accessed through the inner hallway, where the boiler house is situated. To the right of the house is an enclosed cider orchard/paddock of 1.25 hectares, which is currently grazed with several rare-breed sheep.
Guide price: £1,250,000
- 1 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 2 North Somerset mortgage firm named UK's number one broker for outstanding customer outcomes
- 3 Appeal to identify man after sexual assault
- 4 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 5 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
- 6 Two free festivals to bring top acts and 'extraordinary events' to Weston
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Historic detached house near Weston town centre
- 9 Two shops opening for first time next week
- 10 Record numbers attend Wedmore Real Ale Festival
Location: Christon, Axbridge
Agent: Fine and Country, 01275 859000