Should be old-fashioned not new age
AFTER the devastating Grand Pier fire in July I wrote to English heritage, the pier owners, the National Pier Society and North Somerset Council as I was concerned the replacement to the beautiful
AFTER the devastating Grand Pier fire in July I wrote to English heritage, the pier owners, the National Pier Society and North Somerset Council as I was concerned the replacement to the beautiful pavilion could be as a modern monstrosity.
It seems the designs by Ray Hole and Angus Meek are now the only ones in contention and I have to say they are the best of a bad bunch, particularly the Ray Hole one.
If the owners of the Grand Pier could re-create this design but in a more traditional way, Victorian or Edwardian, I would be happier.
NEIL OSBORNE - Bristol
You may also want to watch:
I FEEL the new pier designs are not suited to Weston.
- 1 PICTURES: Look inside Weston's Revo Kitchen
- 2 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 3 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 4 Weston-super-Mare's Jake Cornish in Love Island 2021
- 5 Coronavirus vaccine centre for young people opens in Weston town centre
- 6 Unusual spike in Covid cases in parts of North Somerset
- 7 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 8 Scores enjoy village scarecrow trail based on TV characters
- 9 'It was just horrible' says Tiktok influencer after visit to Weston beach
- 10 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
I think it should be old-fashioned, not new age, more so as the Tropicana will provide what we don't have in Weston. The pier was part of history. Why build something that's not in keeping with the town?
CHRISTINA WAKEFIELD - Chatley, Worcestershire
I'VE read all the comments in the Mercury about how the new pier should look.
Wouldn't it be much nicer to have it rebuilt as it was? I should like that.
JOAN BIGGINS - Abbeyfield House, Weston
I JUST had a look! I must tell you I don't like any of those new pier designs.
I think they are all too modern for a lovely place like Weston. Why don't you rebuild it in the old style?
MELANIE - Hildesheim
THE TROPICANA AND GRAND PIER: Now everyone has been given a chance to give their views on the plans for these two new developments, only letters which make new points on either will now be considered for publication.