Such a waste of taxpayers' money
I WAS shocked to learn that the South West Regional Development Agency, which is such a waste of taxpayers money already, has now advertised for a new chair on a salary of £134,000 pro rata for thee days work per week. Meeting people as I go around th
I WAS shocked to learn that the South West Regional Development Agency, which is such a waste of taxpayers' money already, has now advertised for a new 'chair' on a salary of £134,000 pro rata for thee days' work per week.
Meeting people as I go around the South West, I am struck by their deep worries about their jobs, their mortgages, their living costs and now even their savings.
In that economic climate, to offer such a public sector salary for so little return, and to do so in the name of 'fostering sustainable economic growth', strikes me as obscene.
The fat cats who have done so much damage to our economy do not exist only in the City of London; sadly, they are in the public sector too.
You may also want to watch:
One of the key functions of the successful job applicant will be to 'provide strategic direction and leadership'.
As the best strategic direction for the SWRDA would be to do precisely nothing, waste no more public money and let the county and district councils get on with the jobs they were elected to do, I am thinking of applying for the post myself in order to 'achieve delivery' (to use the jargon it will be necessary for me to use, if appointed) and shut the whole thing down.
- 1 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 2 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 3 Thunderstorms forecast for North Somerset
- 4 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 5 Weston hospital doctor and cancer nurse recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 6 Weston mum and daughter shocked after day-long litter pick
- 7 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 8 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 9 Freedom Day: North Somerset responds to lockdown easing delay
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
ROGER KNAPMAN UKIP MEP - South Weston Council, Newton Abbot