Trustees had one staff member
WE RECENTLY received a four page glossy newsletter from Weston Town Council full of self praise and little else.
WE RECENTLY received a four page glossy newsletter from Weston Town Council full of self praise and little else. It is nice to know that the 40per cent town council tax increase this year is being wisely spent on such a pointless exercise. Page four reminds us that there are 31 councillors and also lists the 13 executives and departmental heads, including - I note - a mayor's secretary.
Having worked with both the old Charter Trustees and the town council I remember when the trustees had one staff member to cover everything - the very hardworking Linda Lacey.
If you remove the Bar Code cafe, Blakehay Theatre, parks and the cemetery from the council responsibilities there is nothing left that Linda did not cover in her workload.
Mike Bell - himself until recently the leader of the town council - quite rightly bemoans the proposed cutting of the library services by North Somerset Council and now we learn that cuts will be made at the museum.
You may also want to watch:
On one hand so much money is being wasted on the town council when, on the other hand cuts are having to be made to much of the town's culture.
If only the town council could be abolished, departments be absorbed into North Somerset and leave the Charter Trustees to look after the mayoral and other ceremonial duties.
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 3 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 4 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 5 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 6 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
- 7 Somerset votes for two unitaries instead of one by clear margin in poll
- 8 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 9 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
I would gladly pay the same total council tax next year if I knew there was a fairer distribution of funds.
Am I the only one who believes this or are there others who care about the balance of power and finances in our town.
Clarence Grove Road