WHILST I agree with a lot of what Martin Smart says regarding Portishead High Street traders ( Despite the recession , Portishead Times November 5) I am stunned by his arrogance and ignorance when he comments: ... does anyone really think they chose to
WHILST I agree with a lot of what Martin Smart says regarding Portishead High Street traders ('Despite the recession', Portishead Times November 5) I am stunned by his arrogance and ignorance when he comments: " ... does anyone really think they chose to live on Port Marine because of the village shopping facilities? Of course not."
I would like to point out to Mr Smart that the main reason why, after living in Bristol for over 20 years, my partner and I decided to move to Port Marine was indeed because of the village shopping facilities.
We had always enjoyed visiting Portishead with its 'villagey' feel and excellent range of local shops and when the new dockside development was started, we jumped at the opportunity of buying a new home with a superb waterfront location just a few minutes' walk away from Portishead High Street.
Too much is spoken and written about 'us and them' but I can assure you that all the people we know both on Port Marine and The Village Quarter fully support the local shops and services and do their best to integrate with the rest of the town.
You may also want to watch:
Comments such as Mr Smart's only add fuel to the arguments by long-standing residents that the newcomers do not want to be part of the local community which is simply not the case.
KEVIN VODDEN - Eastcliff, Portishead
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 6 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Tuk-tuks to provide tourist information service in Weston
- 9 Hornets and Weston excited by 2021-22 season fixtures release
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced