£1million flood prevention works set to start

PUBLISHED: 13:14 04 July 2012 | UPDATED: 13:52 04 July 2012

Archant

A £1MILLION project to reduce flooding will get underway this month.

Heavy rain has seen parts of Worle suffering flood problems, but Wessex Water will start work on July 16 to reduce future flood risks.

The firm said there has been times where roads and properties had been flooded after long periods of rain.

The work will involve upgrading sewers in Church Road, Coronation Road, Worle High Street and Nutwell Road to increase capacity.

The project will create traffic issues, with road closures and diversions put in place through Worle.

The £1million scheme will take about four months to complete.

The company says it is writing to residents affected to inform them of the work.

Paul Godfrey, Wessex Water’s programme manager for the scheme, said: “It is essential that we complete this work as soon as possible to reduce the likelihood of flooding in the future.

“We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this essential work may cause and thank people for their patience.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists