£2,900 energy bill gives Julian a shock
PUBLISHED: 12:00 28 June 2012
OPENING your energy bills is usually one of the least enjoyable chores of the month – but one man got a particularly big shock when he saw he had been charged almost £3,000.
Julian Parry had only been with energy giant E.ON for one month when he received his gas and electricity bill for June – and was stunned when he opened it to find a charge of £2,901.
The 68-year-old has branded the mistake ‘a disgrace’, and says it could have been ‘life-changing’ if the incorrect bill had been addressed to an elderly or infirm person.
Mr Parry, of Westfield Close, Uphill, said: “I think I’m going to frame it and hang it on my wall.
“Imagine if it had been dumped on a fragile, elderly person’s doorstep? It could have been a life-changing experience.
“It’s a disgrace. Can you imagine the effect seeing a bill that big could have had on someone who was elderly, or ill?
“Clearly this happened through a human mistake, but the company should have better controls to stop things like this happening.”
A spokesman from the company said: “We have spoken to Mr Parry to apologise for the large bill, which was caused by human error.
“We are truly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused and will send Mr Parry a revised bill once an updated meter reading has been received.”