IN 2019, a passerby managed to stop a fire from burning down a hotel in Axbridge.

Two fire engines from Cheddar and Burnham-on-Sea attended following a call from a resident staying at The Oakhouse Hotel, who had reported alarms sounding in the building at around 1.35am on a February morning.

Fire control spoke to a passerby who was making a delivery opposite and had noticed a fire in the now-closed hotel on The Square.

The brave man managed to enter the hotel before extinguishing most of the fire using a fire extinguisher.

When the fire crew from Cheddar arrived at the scene, they entered the property wearing breathing apparatus and managed to extinguish the rest of the fire using a hose reel jet.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the fire, which originated in the bar area, was caused by an unattended candle which ignited a picture frame and artificial flowers.

Speaking at the time, a spokesperson said: “The fire was extinguished using a fire extinguisher, one hose reel jet, thermal imaging camera, two breathing apparatus and small tools.

“The property was ventilated using two positive pressure ventilation fans.

“The cause of the fire was accidental and duty of care was left with on site management.”