CREW members from Weston's Coastguard team were called to a "major incident" in Plymouth last week after a WW2 bomb was discovered in a back garden.

The discovery of a 500kg bomb in Keyham on Tuesday (February 20) sparked a major emergency response, impacting thousands of residents.

A spokesperson from HM Coastguard said: "HM Coastguard assisted emergency services and partners after ordnance was found in Plymouth on February 20.

"This was declared a major incident by police, and on February 22 and 23 Coastguard Rescue Teams from across Devon, Cornwall and Somerset assisted with evacuating the area and providing safety cover.

"The ordnance was transferred to a safe disposal location at sea."

Weston Mercury: Thousands of residents were impacted.Thousands of residents were impacted. (Image: HM Coastguard)

A Plymouth Coastguard spokesperson outlined the sequence of events: "Day 1: 0700 Thursday Morning 10 Plymouth team members alongside Weston-super-Mare Coastguard Rescue Team, Kingsbridge Coastguard Rescue Team, Torbay Coastguard Rescue Team, Paignton CRT, Bideford Coastguard Rescue Team, Brixham Coastguard Rescue Team, Boscastle CRT and Polruan Coastguard.

"The teams arrived at Plymouth Argyle which was utilised as a Command Point for the incident, following a large briefing with all assets on scene teams we were sent to different areas to start the evacuation of a larger area.

"Once this had been completed Coastguard teams then deployed providing cover on the 25 cordon points to enable the Police to deal with other incidents and have a welfare break. Plymouth CRT stood down 1600 other CRTs remained on scene.

"Day 2: Urgent Request for Mutual Aid: 0900 Friday morning Coastguard teams put on Standby.

Weston Mercury: Crews from Somerset and Devon were called to assist.Crews from Somerset and Devon were called to assist. (Image: HM Coastguard)

"1030 10 CROs from Plymouth along with Paignton CRT, Torbay CRT, Hartland CRT, Bideford CRT, Polzeath Coastguard, Boscastle CRT, Bude Coastguard Rescue Team, Bigbury Coastguard Rescue team, Kingsbridge CRT and Dawlish Coastguard were mobilised back to Plymouth Argyle Football Club.

"After all the assets had arrived on scene a full briefing was carried out by the Police. The task for Coastguard Teams involved evacuating the area the bomb would travel down to the Torpoint Ferry slipway this also included evacuation of Mount Edgecombe and Devils Point by CRTs.

Weston Mercury: The bomb was from WW2.The bomb was from WW2. (Image: HM Coastguard)

Weston Mercury: The bomb was safely disposed of.The bomb was safely disposed of. (Image: HM Coastguard)

"Once this was achieved we RV'd to the junction outside the Salvation Army Red House building along with Mountain Rescue, Fire and Rescue, Police and the Navy.

"Once the bomb had travelled past our location all services then proceeded back to Plymouth Argyle from there CRTs from further afield were stood down."