5 things to do this weekend in Weston-super-Mare
PUBLISHED: 09:28 24 July 2015 | UPDATED: 09:28 24 July 2015
LEARN all about Weston Woods on a guided tour or enjoy a selection of real ales and ciders this weekend.
Here are some of the things you could get up to:
* The ever-popular annual Weston Lion’s Club Real Ale Festival returns to the Beach Lawns from Friday to Sunday, with more than 50 real ales and ciders available to sample.
Last year’s festival raised almost £40,000 for good causes, and this year Diabetes UK, Baytree School, the RNLI and Crossroads Care will be the beneficiaries.
* If you feel like working off a beer or two after your visit, the YMCA is holding its Summer Starter festival in Grove Park on Saturday, from 10am-6pm.
There will be live music, dance performances and more.
* The town Dabaso may seem unfamiliar, but it serves as Hutton’s twin town and lies just off the east coast of Kenya.
This Saturday, a coffee morning is being held to raise money for the town, from 10am to noon.
Come along to Brambleside, in Eastfield Road to enjoy a cake and a cup of tea or coffee.
There will also be plants, books and African goods to buy.
* Get a rare insight into the world of nature at Secret World in East Huntspill on Saturday and Sunday.
The wildlife rescue centre will welcome visitors to its ‘spines and shells’ exhibition this weekend, with the star attraction the aptly named champion tortoise Eight-stone Eric.
The centre, in New Road, is open from 10am-4pm both days and entry is free.
* Finally, a family fun day is being held at Hornets Rugby Club on Sunday, raising money for Weston Hospicecare.
Running from noon to 6pm, there will be an array of attractions to enjoy on the day.