Age UK looking for North Somerset volunteers
- Credit: Age UK Somerset
A charity for the elderly has called on people to volunteer for its latest service, which matches members up with an older person once a week for a walk and talk.
Age UK Somerset's Active Befriending scheme will run for an eight-week trial period to improve the mental and physical well-being of those who depend on its services.
The South West charity is made up of more than 250 volunteers.
A spokesman for Age UK Somerset said: "Loneliness is endemic among the older population, and for many, this is coupled with anxieties about going out following such a long time indoors.
"The newly created Active Befriending service aims to address the needs and anxieties of older people and help them to rebuild their confidence and renew their enjoyment of, and feel the benefit of being outside."
To get involved with the project, email email@example.com or call 01823 345623
- 1 7 rescue pets looking for forever homes this Christmas in Somerset
- 2 Christmas lights switch-on and festivities announced for Weston
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Somerset?
- 4 Charity ball raises thousands for Cancer Research
- 5 Castle Batch monument uncovered
- 6 Strong winds expected across Somerset this weekend
- 7 Man sentenced to at least 24 years for trying to kill his parents
- 8 Weston pub attracts crowds for Christmas light switch on
- 9 Tributes paid to 'bright, beautiful, gentle soul' who died after being found injured
- 10 Weston RAF Association to host Cooking with Heroes book launch