Visitors warned to stay away from Highbridge Lake due to algae

PUBLISHED: 16:00 31 August 2017 | UPDATED: 17:51 31 August 2017

Visitors are being warned to stay away from the lake.

Visitors are being warned to stay away from the lake.

Archant

Dog owners have been warned to keep their pets away from water in a Highbridge park due to a potentially toxic algae.

The blue-green algae bloom has formed in a lake at Apex Park in Marine Drive.

Although Sedgemoor District Council is still awaiting results of tests carried out on the algae, some forms can produce toxins which are deadly to pets, wild animals and livestock.

The blooms, which form during calm weather, can also harm humans by causing a rash if touched and illnesses if swallowed.

A council spokesman said: “As a precaution, warning signs will be in place which give advice.

“The main thing is not to let dogs swim, paddle or drink the water.”

As well as avoiding contact with the water, visitors are being advised not to eat any fish from the lake.

The algae also stops sunlight reaching other plants in the water.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury