Asbestos removed from a school in Worle
1.25pm: 05.09.07- ASBESTOS discovered in a North Somerset school has been removed. The asbestos fibres were found by builders working to refurbish the gym and sports hall changing rooms and the canteen kitchen at Priory Community School in Worle.
ASBESTOS discovered in a North Somerset school has been removed.
The asbestos fibres were found by builders working to refurbish the gym and sports hall changing rooms and the canteen kitchen at Priory Community School in Worle.
The discovery was made early on in the summer holidays and a clean-up operation was launched to remove all traces of the chemical.
Tests on the asbestos revealed it was chrysotile, which is eliminated from the body when inhaled, unlike other more dangerous forms of asbestos which can stay in the lungs and sometimes result in death.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Neville Coles said: All the asbestos has been removed and the school was open for business as usual yesterday (Wed). Parents need not worry as both children and staff are now perfectly safe, but I will be sending a letter out to everyone to explain the situation.
The only thing that has happened is that since the discovery was made, the building work had to be pushed back by a week, so we will opening the newly refurbished sports hall and kitchen on Monday."
- 1 Around 3,000 patients leave Weston surgery after being 'fed up with problems'
- 2 Crews tackle large fire at Burnham-on-Sea pier
- 3 Weston's Party in the Park 'biggest yet'
- 4 Tributes flood in for 'one in a million' Terry
- 5 Artist creates giant image of band on Brean beach
- 6 Event organiser fined for noise complaints
- 7 Legendary DJ to perform in Weston this weekend
- 8 Weston Rotary Club celebrate 100 years
- 9 Four-bedroom 1930s detached house in Milton
- 10 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
Asbestos is safe unless it is moved around or disturbed and is often found in older buildings, as the risks of using the substance have only become known in the last decade. Priory Community School was built in 1977.