Police close road in Weston town centre after assault leaves man in hospital
- Credit: Tom Wright
A street in Weston-super-Mare town centre has been cordoned off by police this morning (Thursday) following an assault in the early hours.
A man suffered a head injury during the incident and had to be taken to hospital for further treatment.
Regent Street is closed in both directions near Barclays Bank.
Cars are being diverted along High Street, Oxford Street and St James Street while the road is closed.
One police car is at the scene, while workmen could be seen hosing down the pavement and the bank's windows this morning.
An Avon and Somerset Constabulary spokesman said: "We were called to reports of a disturbance in Regent Street in Weston shortly before 2.30am.
"A man had been assaulted and suffered a head injury and has been taken to hospital.
- 1 Thugs targeted elderly couple's motorhome as they slept during Weston Air Show
- 2 Man jailed over theft and fraud at Worle butchers
- 3 WATCH: Moment unlikely heroine saves the day at Weston Air Show
- 4 Rail workers stage walkout in Weston for better working conditions and job security
- 5 Land near railway station could be sold for housing
- 6 French court claims Jill Dando may have been 'murdered by mistake'
- 7 PICTURES: Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend 2022
- 8 Census 2022: North Somerset's population grows by 7pc since 2011
- 9 Weston to celebrate Pride with style this weekend
- 10 Police appeal after acid attack on woman in Weston
"Police enquiries into the incident are continuing.
"Anyone with information is asked to contact us quoting reference number 5219240239."