Avon Fire safety appeal over Festival of Lights

PUBLISHED: 20:00 25 October 2011

Fire engine

Fire engine


AVON fire crews are appealing to Hindu and Sikh families to take extra care to stay safe as they celebrate Diwali, the Festival of Lights tomorrow (Wed).

The celebration traditionally sees families light candles and oil lamps in their homes as well as public places to signify the driving away of darkness and ignorance.

Candles are usually left burning overnight and Avon Fire and Rescue Service is appealing for families to be safe.

The service has even made a short film about the dangers of Diwali candles, which is available on their YouTube channel.

Between April 2010 and March 2011 the fire service attended 21 fires started by candles or tea-lights.

Adrian Mantle, Avon Fire safety officer, said: “We all use candles during the winter months, but if used incorrectly they can lead to fire breaking out, destroying belongings and endangering lives.

““You should take particular care with tealights as the metal containers get hot enough to burn or set fire to the surface they are on. They should always be used with a suitable holder.”

“We want people to enjoy their Diwali celebrations safely and are spreading the word by working alongside Hindu and Sikh temples and visiting community groups to give advice on staying safe.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists