Axbridge pageant set to return
THE Axbridge pageant will return to the town and organisers now need a committee to help with preparations. The pageant is held every ten years and the next one will be in 2010.
THE Axbridge pageant will return to the town and organisers now need a committee to help with preparations.
The pageant is held every ten years and the next one will be in 2010.
Councillor Barry Hamblin said: "It is only held every decade because it takes so long to organise.
"The whole town is involved and it takes a lot of work."
You may also want to watch:
The pageant is a play, which tells the story of the town's history. It started in 1967 after the bypass was built round the town. As traffic was no longer using The Square to get from one end of Axbridge to the other, someone suggested using it for a pageant.
The event is usually held on the August Bank Holiday. After the first pageant in 1967 organisers held another in 1970 but decided it took so long to plan that it would only be held every 10 years instead of three.
- 1 Petrol filling station and food store opens on outskirts of Weston
- 2 Armed police at Birnbeck Pier after reports of men with a gun
- 3 Police appeal for dash cam footage after serious collision near Weston
- 4 Surfer sets up new water sports business in North Somerset
- 5 Sun shines on successful Weston food festival
- 6 'Brilliant week' for Weston after April 12 ease in restrictions
- 7 Workshops to discuss new medical centre at Weston Rugby Club
- 8 Weston Lions cancel Real Ale Festival
- 9 Teenager charged with murder in Weston
- 10 Engaged couple thank new friends for 'special' night at Weston restaurant
A video of the last pageant in 2000 was made and organisers are currently transferring them on to DVDs for residents.
Anyone interested in helping is urged to attend a meeting on December 5 at 7.30pm in the Town Hall.