'Bah humbug' in Weston's High Street
IT IS bah humbug among traders this year as the majority of High Street shop owners have refused to put their hands in their pockets. Weston Town Centre Partnership has had to fork out most of the £6,000 needed for this years lights because the bosses
IT IS 'bah humbug' among traders this year as the majority of High Street shop owners have refused to put their hands in their pockets.
Weston Town Centre Partnership has had to fork out most of the £6,000 needed for this years' lights because the bosses of all the national chains have said they will not contribute.
The only places to come forward and offer any seasonal cash for the festive illuminations is Weston' Sovereign Shopping Centre and Walker & Ling opposite.
Town centre manager Steve Townsend approached all retail outlets in the High Street but says the managers' hands were tied by instructions at national level.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "It would be commercial suicide not to have Christmas lights and the bosses of the national chains would be the first to complain if we didn't.
"Unfortunately we have had to pay for them out of the Town Centre Partnership's entertainment budget and that means we can't have the entertainment we could have done over the festive period.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 3 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 4 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 5 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 6 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 9 Impressive house in a popular area of Weston
- 10 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
"It is not the shop managers' fault. It is all about directions which have come down from their national offices to say their will be no contribution."
Late night Thursday Christmas shopping will begin in the town centre later this month, with the official lights switch-on taking place on November 24.
* Bosses at Weston's Sovereign Centre are looking for a new home for their old 35ft Christmas tree, complete with decorations and lights. Anyone who is interested can call 01934 644111.