VIDEO: Hot air balloon mass ascent from beach opens Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend 2019
A mass ascent of hot air balloons took to the skies to officially open the 2019 Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Weekend 2019 this morning (Saturday).
In partnership with Exclusive Ballooning and sponsored by Renishaw PLC, Balloons On The Beach is a new addition to the air festival's programme and this morning's launch saw 16 hot air balloons take off at sunrise from Weston beach.
Last year the Longleat lion balloon, known as Simbaloo, became the very first balloon to launch from Weston beach in the town's history.
The one-off flight was followed later in the month by a mass ascent featuring six hot air balloons.
Weston Air Festival offers airshow fans the chance to enjoy a whole host of family-friendly fun along the seafront and Beach Lawns.
The event village will feature exhibition stands, food stalls, family activities and fairgrounds, as well as the chance to meet RAF crews, ensuring there is plenty to see and do at ground level.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 'Bright future' for Weston high street
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown