Be warned, flea solutions could kill

CONCERNED vets are warning pet owners in Weston and North Somerset of the dangers of applying the wrong flea solutions to their furry friends.

CONCERNED vets are warning pet owners in Weston and North Somerset of the dangers of applying the wrong flea solutions to their furry friends.

The message comes after several incidents in which cats have fallen ill after their owners treated them with a spot-on flea product intended for dogs.

Senior nurse at Clarendon Veterinary Centre in Weston, Emma Palfrey, said "A lot of solutions for dogs contain a chemical called permethrin, which is poisonous to cats.

"It can cause kidney problems and neurological problems, and is even strong enough to kill a cat."


You may also want to watch:


Emma said the issue has occurred when people have bought products from supermarkets and pet shops, rather than from a vet surgery, where they would be given advice on which item to use and how to apply it.

She added: "Some people may think vets sell more expensive products just to make money, but we choose to sell the ones that we think are best and safest for the animals.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus