Bournville could be renamed
WESTON S Bournville estate could soon become known as Bournville Village.
WESTON'S Bournville estate could soon become known as Bournville Village.
The idea has been thought up by North Somerset Councillor Ian Parker, who says renaming the estate could be a good way of leading it into a brighter future.
Cllr Parker said: "There are other areas in Weston that have similar names, such as Locking Village and Weston Village, so I thought it would be nice to alter the Bournville name.
"The new name may shake off any previous reputation and coincide with numerous changes that have already taken place in the area."
You may also want to watch:
Initiatives such as bulb planting, litter picking, a youth forum and a new minibus to transport people between the estates in Weston's south ward have all contributed to positive alterations to the area.
Cllr Parker added: "There are no legal reasons that could stop it being changed but I would like to ask residents their opinions before I move forward with the idea.
- 1 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 2 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 3 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 4 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 5 Weston's youngest funeral director achieves qualifications
- 6 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 7 Weston's Marine Lake to remain closed due to safety concerns
- 8 Weston is a 'really great place to invest'
- 9 Party in the Park event returns to Weston
- 10 The joys of sea air: The visitors' guide to Weston-super-Mare
"There are many processes we will have to go through before anything could be done officially. This would be with establishments such as the police and the council."
Cllr Parker said that he thought of the idea after talking to a shop owner on the estate, who suggested a name change.
Details on a consultation have not yet been confirmed but Cllr Parker said he is hoping to arrange it for the near future.
What do you think? Log on to www.thewestonmercury.co.uk