BREAKING NEWS: Barry George refused bail
12.30 pm. 22.08.07. A MAN convicted of the murder of Weston journalist Jill Dando was refused bail today (Wed). Barry George heard earlier this year that his case had been referred to the Court of Appeal after a review.
A MAN convicted of the murder of Weston journalist Jill Dando was refused bail today(Wed).
Barry George heard earlier this year that his case had been referred to the Court of Appeal after a review.
While awaiting the appeal hearing, expected to be heard in November, George, aged 47, applied for bail, but was refused by the judge, Mr Justice Treacy, at the Court of Appeal in London.
George was given a life sentence for the death of the former Weston & Somerset Mercury reporter in July 2001 after she was shot dead on the doorstep of her home in Fulham in April 1999.
You may also want to watch:
The 37-year-old was well-known for her appearances in Crimewatch and Holiday and is still fondly remembered in Weston, where she started out as a junior reporter in 1979. She joined the newspaper following in the footsteps of her brother Nigel and father Jack, who both worked in the office as well.
George's case was referred to the Court of Appeal after new finds raised concerns about evidence used in the original case - a small bit of firearms discharge found on his coat.
- 1 Forest preschool and holiday club set to open on outskirts of Weston
- 2 Weston hotel destroyed by fire to be redeveloped this year
- 3 Weston's youngest funeral director achieves qualifications
- 4 Have you seen wanted man Frazer Englefield?
- 5 Gale force winds expected to hit North Somerset
- 6 Have your say on plans for new GP surgery on Weston Rugby Club site
- 7 PICTURES: New supermarket opens at shopping district
- 8 Wind and water sports in Weston
- 9 Chiropractors report increase in patients with back and neck pain due to home working
- 10 Disruptions to your journey by car across North Somerset