BREAKING NEWS: Barry George refused bail
12.30 pm. 22.08.07. A MAN convicted of the murder of Weston journalist Jill Dando was refused bail today (Wed). Barry George heard earlier this year that his case had been referred to the Court of Appeal after a review.
A MAN convicted of the murder of Weston journalist Jill Dando was refused bail today(Wed).
Barry George heard earlier this year that his case had been referred to the Court of Appeal after a review.
While awaiting the appeal hearing, expected to be heard in November, George, aged 47, applied for bail, but was refused by the judge, Mr Justice Treacy, at the Court of Appeal in London.
George was given a life sentence for the death of the former Weston & Somerset Mercury reporter in July 2001 after she was shot dead on the doorstep of her home in Fulham in April 1999.
You may also want to watch:
The 37-year-old was well-known for her appearances in Crimewatch and Holiday and is still fondly remembered in Weston, where she started out as a junior reporter in 1979. She joined the newspaper following in the footsteps of her brother Nigel and father Jack, who both worked in the office as well.
George's case was referred to the Court of Appeal after new finds raised concerns about evidence used in the original case - a small bit of firearms discharge found on his coat.
- 1 Arrest made following death of man in Weston attack
- 2 Inadequate care home responds
- 3 How to order free Covid home tests
- 4 April 12 opening day: Sovereign Centre plans to shake-up Weston high street
- 5 Popular Weston restaurant welcomes customers back
- 6 Man charged with two counts of attempted murder
- 7 Drink-driver jailed after causing serious injuries to Weston couple
- 8 Grand Pier to host recruitment open days
- 9 Weston Marine Lake outdoor swimming plans reach key milestone
- 10 Special school expansion progress