BREAKING NEWS: Barry George refused bail
12.30 pm. 22.08.07. A MAN convicted of the murder of Weston journalist Jill Dando was refused bail today (Wed). Barry George heard earlier this year that his case had been referred to the Court of Appeal after a review.
A MAN convicted of the murder of Weston journalist Jill Dando was refused bail today(Wed).
Barry George heard earlier this year that his case had been referred to the Court of Appeal after a review.
While awaiting the appeal hearing, expected to be heard in November, George, aged 47, applied for bail, but was refused by the judge, Mr Justice Treacy, at the Court of Appeal in London.
George was given a life sentence for the death of the former Weston & Somerset Mercury reporter in July 2001 after she was shot dead on the doorstep of her home in Fulham in April 1999.
You may also want to watch:
The 37-year-old was well-known for her appearances in Crimewatch and Holiday and is still fondly remembered in Weston, where she started out as a junior reporter in 1979. She joined the newspaper following in the footsteps of her brother Nigel and father Jack, who both worked in the office as well.
George's case was referred to the Court of Appeal after new finds raised concerns about evidence used in the original case - a small bit of firearms discharge found on his coat.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
- 3 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 4 PICTURES: Runners brave the elements at Weston Super Half
- 5 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 6 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 7 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 8 Stone Roses songs to be recreated in Weston
- 9 Village's community shop to relocate
- 10 Weston BID column: Walker & Ling owner Sam Walker