Breaking news: Homes evacuated following gas leak

PUBLISHED: 08:33 21 August 2012 | UPDATED: 08:54 21 August 2012

Archant

ABOUT 100 people have been evacuated from their homes this morning (Tues) following a gas leak.

Emergency services are currently on the scene in Church Road in Worle.

The leak, thought to have happened between Coronation Road and Hill Road, was first discovered at about 6.30am this morning when a member of public reported the smell of gas.

Avon Fire and Rescue quickly attended the scene and, using gas-monitoring equipment, they detected a low level of gas in the area.

A 200m exclusion zone was immediately set up and about 100 people living nearby have been evacuated to St Martin’s Church.

Gas engineers are currently at the site.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Weston Mercury