Dead porpoise washes up on beach
- Credit: BARB
A porpoise which was found washed up on a beach died of ‘several injuries’,
Marine mammal medics from Burnham Area Rescue Boat (BARB) were called to Brean beach at 11.48am on September 5 to a report of a porpoise washed up on the shore.
When the crew arrived on the scene they found a young male porpoise which had suffered several injuries including severe damage to its head and dorsal fin.
The medics confirmed the porpoise was dead, after checking over the animal.
A BARB spokesman said: "Our marine mammal medic team have a full range of specialised equipment and have undertaken extensive training to help porpoise and dolphins along our coastline when required.
You may also want to watch:
"Sadly, it wasn't needed this time.
"We updated our colleagues at British Divers Marine Life Rescue and HM Coastguard with full details of the mammal so they could log these into the central UK database."
- 1 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 2 Councillor calls for misogyny to be classed as hate crime
- 3 Impressive house in a popular area of Weston
- 4 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 5 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 6 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 7 Banwell bypass route chosen
- 8 New principal appointed at academy
- 9 WIN: Tickets to The Magic Of Motown
- 10 Man sentenced after racially abusing a woman following a collision