Weston brothel shut by court as criminal inquiry gets underway
- Credit: Archant
A brothel which has been operating in Weston-super-Mare’s town centre has been shut down by a court order today (Monday).
Police executed a search warrant on Butterfly’s Massage Parlour, in Alexandra Parade, on November 16.
Officers then applied for a closure order, which was granted at North Somerset Courthouse today.
It means the premises will be closed for three months, and no-one will be allowed to enter during that period.
Detective Sergeant Mark Probert said: “We’re pleased the court agreed with us that this premises should be shut for three months, which is the maximum amount of time we can apply for.
“This is an important stage of our investigation into Butterfly’s and a criminal inquiry is still very much under way.
“Our antisocial officers helped compile the closure order application, which included evidence of prostitution taking place at this premises within the last three months.
- 1 Man jailed for savage attack on three women at Weston pub
- 2 Person dies after incident at Weston's Marine Lake
- 3 World-renowned cider maker to host family open day next month
- 4 Councillors hit back at proposed bus cuts in North Somerset
- 5 No dentist in North Somerset is accepting new NHS patients, study shows
- 6 Help reunite owner of lost photo found in charity shop purse
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 'Extreme heat' warning issued for Somerset
- 9 Carers reach finals in top awards
- 10 'Unexplained' death at Weston nightclub
“We hope today’s positive result shows we remain committed to protecting the vulnerable and exploited and will take action whenever we have the evidence to do so.”
No-one was in court representing Butterfly’s, and the order was not contested.
Anyone with information which could help the investigation should call 101 using the reference number 5217262241.