Weston brothel shut by court as criminal inquiry gets underway
- Credit: Archant
A brothel which has been operating in Weston-super-Mare’s town centre has been shut down by a court order today (Monday).
Police executed a search warrant on Butterfly’s Massage Parlour, in Alexandra Parade, on November 16.
Officers then applied for a closure order, which was granted at North Somerset Courthouse today.
It means the premises will be closed for three months, and no-one will be allowed to enter during that period.
Detective Sergeant Mark Probert said: “We’re pleased the court agreed with us that this premises should be shut for three months, which is the maximum amount of time we can apply for.
“This is an important stage of our investigation into Butterfly’s and a criminal inquiry is still very much under way.
“Our antisocial officers helped compile the closure order application, which included evidence of prostitution taking place at this premises within the last three months.
- 1 Stunning house with large rooms and annexe
- 2 Shop chain will sell products past 'best before' date for as little as 20p
- 3 Covid cases still rising in North Somerset
- 4 Man SPAT at shop staff in row over face mask
- 5 First Bus announces major changes to bus services
- 6 Fire crews tackle chimney blaze
- 7 Weston, Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway: A history
- 8 Dramatic pictures show garage fire that spread to caravan
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 'I had to learn to walk again': Weston man talks of strokes - at 31
“We hope today’s positive result shows we remain committed to protecting the vulnerable and exploited and will take action whenever we have the evidence to do so.”
No-one was in court representing Butterfly’s, and the order was not contested.
Anyone with information which could help the investigation should call 101 using the reference number 5217262241.