Bungalow refused for village garden
PUBLISHED: 13:00 24 January 2015
'POOR' plans to build a bungalow in a Bleadon cottage garden have been scuppered after they were thrown out by North Somerset Council.
A would-be developer had hoped to build a three-bedroom single storey home in the ground of Mulberry Cottage after clearing trees and vegetation.
Construction traffic accessing the site and future general access into the proposed home would have been through the existing driveway, which is just three metres wide.
But councillors rejected the plans at the latest planning committee meeting on January 14.
The application had attracted 20 objections on North Somerset Council’s planning portal, most of which focused on the difficulty accessing the site.
At the planning meeting Iris Clarke, who lives in Mulberry Lane, said: “There are 13 properties in Mulberry Lane and the proposed house will sit in the middle of six of them.
“Using Mulberry Road as an access route will be impractical and dangerous. Access to Mulberry Lane is opposite the village halls, children’s park and public toilets.”
A similar application was submitted to North Somerset in April last year for a two-storey home in the same spot, but it was also refused.
Although officers recommended approving the latest submission, councillors voted to halt the scheme.
North Somerset district councillor Terry Porter told the meeting: “You certainly can’t get any construction vehicles down there.
“It’s very tight and very restricted. If the owner of Mulberry Cottage opens the windows the cars can’t get past.
“It is a poor design which will harm the living conditions of those living in Mulberry Lane. To get two or three inches within the house for access is unacceptable in my eyes.
“I think it is over-development of the site, (which) is very small and congested.”
Bleadon Parish Council also objected, citing lack of access and overdevelopment as its reasons.