Hundreds watch Burnham’s illuminated carnival procession
- Credit: Mark Atherton
Hundreds of people lined the streets on Monday to watch one of the county’s best loved traditions of carnival.
Excitement filled the air as many braved the cooler weather to watch more than 80 carnival carts, tableaux and walking entries involved in this year’s procession.
Marketeers CC won in Burnham carnival’s Feature Mounted Open category with the most points with its entry Consider Yourself Dickensian.
The scores of people who attended raised more than £12,700 for the carnival – which is almost £700 down from last year.
The amount raised will now go towards prize money for carts entering the carnival, organisations and charities in the area and back into running the event next year.
You may also want to watch:
For a full preview of Weston’s carnival, see today’s (Thursday’s) Weston Mercury.
- 1 Weston will get a bowling alley next year
- 2 Puxton Park pumpkin patch now open
- 3 Meet the owners of Weston's only seafood restaurant
- 4 Five sites get Green Flag status
- 5 Man jailed for knife possession offence
- 6 Executive four-bedroom nearly-new house near town centre
- 7 New principal appointed at academy
- 8 Yeo Valley extends open days for award-winning garden
- 9 Doctors could be under pressure if changes to surgery boundaries are not implemented
- 10 Banwell bypass route chosen