Business as usual after blaze

PUBLISHED: 12:31 28 January 2010 | UPDATED: 11:38 25 May 2010

IT WAS business as usual at a pub in Weston - just hours after a fire above the property.

IT WAS business as usual at a pub in Weston - just hours after a fire above the property.

Jug and Bottle owners Jayne and Chris Ponting were shocked when they were called by friends on Friday morning who told them their pub was ablaze.

But Chris, who lives with Jayne in Elm Hurst Road, said he was relieved to find the damage only spread to the upstairs flat.

Chris, who has owned the Drove Road pub for about 18 months, said: "A friend of Jayne's was staying in the flat but luckily she had already left for the morning.

"I was getting ready to take our kids to school when people from the newsagents next door to the pub called to say it was on fire.

"Luckily it was only in one room and all we know at the moment is that it was an electrical fault.

"It is a shock to the system when someone tells you your business is on fire, but the damage was minimal."

Firefighters were called to the pub at 8.25am on Friday. Minor damage was caused to some bedroom furniture and there were smoke stains around the flat.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury