£500k revamp to ‘transform’ Sovereign Centre
- Credit: Archant
Weston-super-Mare’s Sovereign Shopping Centre is set for a ‘dramatic’ overhaul this summer with work beginning on a refurbished food court this week – as owners Vixcroft commences the regeneration of the shopping centre.
Details of Vixcroft’s plans have been kept under wraps since it purchased the building for £30million in February 2015, but the property developer has now revealed the first stage of the complex’s revamp.
The refurbishment will begin on Monday, with work scheduled to be completed in September.
The seaside-inspired development of the food court – which has been named The Galley – includes six new food units, available to both national and independent retailers, plus a seating area.
Vixcroft chief executive Daniel Carter said: “We are committed to not only the regeneration of the Sovereign Centre but also to the regeneration of Weston. We want to see Weston’s economy thrive, and we want play an active role in making it happen.”
You may also want to watch:
The Sovereign Centre will remain open during the food court refurbishment and Parsons Bakery will continue to serve food, while Druckers will relocate to a temporary unit for the duration of the development.
Sovereign Centre manager Nick Cook said: “The Galley will offer more variety for our customers and will greatly improve our offering as a leisure destination. I am sure our visitors of all ages will enjoy it.”
- 1 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 2 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 6 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Tuk-tuks to provide tourist information service in Weston
- 9 Hornets and Weston excited by 2021-22 season fixtures release
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
Leader of North Somerset Council, Cllr Nigel Ashton said he is pleased with the plans for the shopping centre. He said: “I am delighted Vixcroft is playing a key role in improving the leisure and retail offer in Weston town centre.
“The food hall improvements are just the start of their investment plans which we are pleased to be working on closely with them.
“The new food hall will be great news for visitors and residents alike. Together with the development under way at Dolphin Square and forthcoming launch of Bistrot Pierre, Vixcroft’s plans will create new jobs and will help bring new vitality into the heart of Weston, especially into the evening and year-round.”