Alan shares his words of wisdom
- Credit: Archant
A WESTON bookseller has been raising spirits and more than a few laughs with a quirky new way of promoting his business.
Alan Holloway runs Tudor Books And Gifts in the Tudor Mall in High Street, and has been sharing daily pearls of wisdom with his customers.
The 44-year-old is using a blackboard outside the market to run a series of amusing bon mots ‘to make people smile’ as they pass by.
Alan said: “A few months ago, I bought a blackboard and thought that instead of just writing ‘Come into my shop’ or whatever, I’d give people two different quotes a day, so that those that walk past regularly have something to either amuse, inform or even educate them.
“I always like it when a shop or business tries to be a little different, to make people smile instead of pushing their wares down their throats.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s been a very positive reaction, with several people coming in just to say how much they enjoy reading the different quotes each day.
“I don’t know if it has affected business, and to be honest I don’t care; it makes me feel good, it makes other people feel good, and anything else is just a bonus.”
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Weston AFC unveil more Optima Stadium development plans
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 Voice your views on roads, footpaths and cycling routes in North Somerset
- 7 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 8 Green candidate announced for village ward in by-election
- 9 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
Some of history’s best-known quipsters have already made the board, but it is a line by a renowned science fiction novelist which Alan identifies as his favourite.
He said: “‘Build a man a fire, and you will keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life’.
“That is from Sir Terry Pratchett. I liked that one so much I put it on sale as a fridge magnet.”