Blockbuster to stay... for now
- Credit: Archant
THE future of Blockbuster in Weston remains uncertain, despite its store not being earmarked for closure.
The DVD rental giant was placed into administration last week and on Saturday it announced plans to close 129 of its branches around the UK.
They will be in addition to 31 stores already earmarked for closure, as Blockbuster tries to find a buyer.
The Weston store, located near Pizza Hut off Winterstoke Road, is not one of the branches which have been earmarked for closure, a spokesman confirmed.
Although its immediate future has been secured, she said Blockbuster’s long-term presence in the town remains in the balance while the company searches for a new owner.
You may also want to watch:
Blockbuster currently has 528 stores in UK, employing more than 4,000 staff.
However Blockbuster Entertainment Limited and Blockbuster GB Limited, who trade under the Blockbuster name, were both placed into administration this month.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 6 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 7 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
Blockbuster’s news comes less than three weeks after photography retailer Jessops pulled out of Weston High Street after it was plunged into administration.