Businesses turning over a greener leaf
MORE than 40 businesses from around North Somerset learned about the benefits of going green at a special event.
The Turning Over a Greener Leaf seminar was organised by the Weston and District Chamber of Trade and Commerce and the North Somerset Industrial Association (NSIA) and held at John West Renewables’ showroom in Vernon Court, Weston.
Among the topics discussed by a variety of speakers were improving efficiency to reduce waste and using unavoidable waste as an income stream, reusing by-products and surplus stock as craft materials for children, and showing the income that can be provided by using environmental technology.
Mark Bass, of John West Renewables, spoke of the benefits of micro-generating electricity to use as an income stream, saying: “We have installed a solar panel array on the roof for our neighbour’s business.
“Last month it generated 65 per cent of all of their electrical needs in addition to providing an income that will see a return on their capital investment from feed in tariff payments (FIT) of only eight years.”
You may also want to watch:
The chamber’s president, Chris Knight, said: “In the current economic climate it is important that any changes a company makes stack up financially but equally we need to ensure that our actions today provide an environment that is fit for our businesses and those of future generations.”
Richard Shearwood-Porter of the HQSE department concluded the evening with a summary of the EU and UK government grant funding that is available for businesses to encourage greater environmental sustainability.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
The chamber is welcoming membership applications, with annual membership starting at �20 for a business with up to five employees, and ending at a maximum of �75 for those with 16 or more.