Clothes shop to close in town
SHOPPING in Weston will be dealt another blow when a ladies fashion retailer closes this weekend.
Ethel Austin, which took over the former Woolworths store in High Street in November 2009, will cease trading on Saturday.
There are 20 staff that work at the store and they were only told on Monday of the closure.
A spokesman for Life & Style Retail, which owns the chain, was unavailable for comment as the Mercury went to press.
Steve Townsend, town centre manager, said: “Our first thought is with the team and can only hope they have alternative employment.
You may also want to watch:
“Our town centre shopper surveys always indicate that a Primark would be a welcome addition to the High Street, but in the past the store has been considered to small.
“We can only hope that the landlord is proactive in the re-letting of this substantial unit as soon as is possible.”
- 1 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 2 Planking your way to better health
- 3 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 4 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 5 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 6 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 7 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 8 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 9 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 10 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic