Could village pub be knocked down to make way for hotel?
- Credit: Archant
A village pub could be demolished to make way for a new hotel.
Plans have been submitted to North Somerset Council to replace The Bungalow Inn, in Butcombe, with a two-storey hotel, near Bristol Airport. If built, it would have 36 bedrooms and a bar.
Council officers believe it should get the go-ahead, but the authority’s planning committee will have the final say today (Wednesday).
Sutherland Property and Legal Services Ltd, on behalf of applicant The Old Forge, says the pub in Kingdown Road needs ‘substantive alterations in order to retain the viability of the business’.
Several planning applications have been submitted to North Somerset in recent years to change the site, and permission is in place to create a pub with a 16-bedroom motel.
You may also want to watch:
However The Old Forge wishes to expand the project and estimates opening a hotel would create about 30 full-time and part-time jobs.
Although the pub’s demolition is backed by North Somerset’s planning department, there has been opposition from the local community.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 7 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 8 Planking your way to better health
- 9 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 10 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
All three comments from the public have been against it and Wrington Parish Council described the proposed development as an ‘unacceptable intrusion’ on greenbelt land.
Butcombe Parish Council registered similar objections and criticised the designs put forward.
The planning meeting will be held today at Weston Town Hall, starting at 2.30pm.