Council urged to scrap parking fees on Small Business Saturday
- Credit: Archant
NORTH Somerset Council is being asked to support a grassroots business campaign by providing free parking in Weston-super-Mare for one day next month.
Small Business Saturday, which falls on December 5, highlights the success of independent and small firms and encourages people to shop in smaller, local stores.
It will see several retailers and entrepreneurs congregate at Weston’s Big Lamp Corner on the day to promote the scheme and encourage shoppers to buy goods from smaller stores.
Two of the town’s councillors have called for parking charges to be suspended throughout the day to help boost the initiative and the businesses supporting it.
North Somerset councillor Mike Bell and Weston town councillor Robert Payne, who both represent Central ward, described small businesses as the ‘lifeblood’ of the country’s economy and urged the council to get behind the scheme.
Cllr Bell said: “We want to see as many people as possible in local independent businesses on December 5 and believe that a free parking offer would encourage people to think small and shop locally.
You may also want to watch:
“As the cost of doing business continues to rise, it is more important than ever to support our small businesses. Lots of councils around the country have agreed to offer free parking and North Somerset should do the same to support Weston’s business community.”
Cllr Payne said: “Small businesses are the lifeblood of the UK economy and Small Business Saturday is a chance for everyone, including local councils, to get behind our small firms.
- 1 New card and gift shop to open in Weston retail park
- 2 50 staff isolating after Covid outbreak at Weston pub
- 3 PICTURES: Look inside Weston's Revo Kitchen
- 4 From Hornets RFC to England: The rise of Curtis Langdon
- 5 Coronavirus vaccine centre for young people opens in Weston town centre
- 6 'Not the slightest chance' Tropicana lido will return to Weston
- 7 Public consultation begins on proposed improvements along the A38
- 8 Wetherspoon staff isolating after positive Covid-19 case
- 9 New parliamentary boundaries will be 'more democratic', says Weston MP
- 10 Elton John to perform in Bristol next year
“With just a couple of weeks to go until Small Business Saturday 2015 – our national day for small businesses – I encourage everyone to show their support for the small businesses in their community working hard to create jobs and build a strong local economy.”
Weston’s business owners are also being given the chance to show their support for Small Business Saturday at a preview event in the Town Square today (Thursday).
The Small Business Bus Tour has seen a dedicated bus stop at towns and cities across the country during November and its aim is to provide small business support and encourage people to shop locally.