Cyclist opens new bike shop in town centre
- Credit: Archant
A CYCLING enthusiast has opened his first business, by launching a bike shop in Weston-super-Mare’s town centre.
Nathan Carr, aged 26, has opened the Independent Bike Co in The Centre, selling bikes and riding gear including shoes and gloves, tools and clothing.
It also includes a workshop area where Nathan will be able to service and repair bikes.
He said: “It is my first business.
“I saw a real gap in the market as one shop had moved out of town, and the other closed down, so the town centre was missing a proper little bike shop.
You may also want to watch:
“When I was growing up, there were always two or three small bike shops, and that is what got me in to bikes.
“And my first job was working in one of those shops.
- 1 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 2 Man in hospital after stabbing in Weston
- 3 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 4 North Somerset Covid cases increase by 170%
- 5 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 6 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 7 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 8 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 9 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 10 5 things to do in North Somerset this weekend
“So it was a real shame for me to see them go because they played a big part in my life.
“My circumstances at my old job changed and I saw a real opportunity to have a go for myself, and it all fell into place.”
Nathan is involved in downhill racing, although he has also done road racing and cross-country cycle rides.
He said: “It means I know what is required from a shop like this.
“I have been working in bike shops all my life, and I have seen what doesn’t work and what is really good.”
Nathan spent months remodelling the shop before opening it to the public last Saturday.
He said: “It looks nothing like it did before.
“I stripped it back to a shell. I was almost down to the mud on the floor.
“It looks super modern and has had a full revamp.”
And with work beginning on Dolphin Square, Nathan said it seemed to be the perfect time to open a business in The Centre.
He said: “I am really excited about Dolphin Square.
“The whole of this part of town is going to be rejuvenated, so it is a really good time to get in.
“I’m quite lucky as I got the last shop to have a car parking space as well.”