Dental surgery without profit
A WESTON dental surgery has been commended for its Big Society ideals after turning non-profit to help the community.
The former Moorland Road Dental Practice changed hands in April, and has undergone massive changes.
New owners Gus and Wendy van Riessen are now running the established practice as a community interest company (CIC) named Severn Dental Centre.
This means it is being run as a not-for-profit organisation, an idea which Wendy says was inspired by the Government’s call for people to play a bigger part in their communities.
The change, which has made the practice the UK’s first CIC dentist, has already seen the firm presented with a prestigious Social Enterprise Mark.
You may also want to watch:
Wendy said: “We have been working on this idea for nearly two years.
“Our passion at Severn Dental Centre CIC is being in business to provide more opportunities to help society and protect the environment, to provide new, innovative ways to deliver personal dental care to local people, and to provide an alternative to the larger dental corporates which are completely profit-driven.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 8 Planking your way to better health
- 9 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 10 £1m funding bid to make Weston police station redevelopment viable
“That is why receiving the Social Enterprise Mark is such a great honour for our company.
“It is an independent certification and a testament for our future direction.”
The accreditation rewards enterprises with proven social objectives, rather than being profit-driven.
Social Enterprise Mark scheme spokesman Lesley Foster said: “We are delighted to welcome Severn Dental Centre CIC as the first dental practice to receive this award and have no doubt they will inspire others to follow this great example of social enterprise.”