Department store set to move in?
PRIMARK refuses to deny that it is about to set up shop in Weston.
Rumours are rife that the popular fashion chain could move into a prime town centre spot.
The Mercury has spoken to several key people in Weston this week who say Primark bosses have been scouting out the best place in the area to open a new department store.
The company already has more than 200 stores throughout the UK and Europe and there were rumours two years ago that the firm was looking at taking over the former Woolworths store in High Street, but it was too small.
It is understood that Primark has most recently been looking at a larger, prime site in Weston and a staff member at that particular store confirmed this week that they too had heard the rumours about the chain moving into their place of work.
You may also want to watch:
A Primark spokesman refused this week to deny bosses are looking are looking at taking over the building, or are interested in a move into the resort, but the Mercury understands the plans are still on the table.
More than half of shoppers questioned in a Town Centre Partnership survey in 2009 said they would like to see the discount clothing store move into Weston.
- 1 REVEALED: Three locations chosen for new Aldi stores
- 2 Revo Kitchen opens in Weston
- 3 Planning application submitted for £30million second school site
- 4 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 5 Yatton pub releases full English breakfast fragrance
- 6 Six people evacuated from fire in town centre
- 7 Spot the scarecrows around Kewstoke and Sand Bay
- 8 Two injured in car and motorbike crash in Weston
- 9 Bristol Balloon Fiesta cancelled at Ashton Court in place of city flypasts
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
HMV, Debenhams and Iceland were also among the favourite shops voted for.
More recently when the readers on our Facebook group were asked which outlet they would like to see in town, an overwhelming number said Primark.
* Which shop would you like to see in town? Vote in our poll here or make your views known via our Facebook page (Weston, Worle & Somerset Mercury).