Dramatic rise in apprenticeships on offer
- Credit: Archant
THERE has been a dramatic rise in the number of apprenticeship vacancies on offer across North Somerset.
The district experienced a rise of more than 70 per cent in apprenticeship openings being advertised online between August and October last year.
The most popular positions were for business, administration and law, with healthcare and public services apprenticeships also seeing a huge rise.
Weston College has achieved major success with its growing apprenticeship offering in recent years, and its spokesman said: “Apprenticeships are ideal for anyone who is looking to build their skills and experience in a practical way.
“We work with hundreds of local employers across a wide range of industry sectors to create apprenticeship-level opportunities for people looking to enter the world of work.”
You may also want to watch:
The data, from The Apprenticeship Index, shows a rise of 28 per cent nationally, but North Somerset is way ahead, with a 77 per cent rise.
The college spokesman said: “College apprentices get the best of both worlds. Not only do they receive paid ‘on the job’ training and experience leading to a qualification, they can still qualify for a students’ union card, discounted bus passes and all of the additional support of being a college student.
- 1 Family pub reopens after lockdown transformation
- 2 Weston AFC unveil more Optima Stadium development plans
- 3 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 4 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 Voice your views on roads, footpaths and cycling routes in North Somerset
- 7 Green candidate announced for village ward in by-election
- 8 Weston people wanted for film to promote town
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
“It’s an exciting time to be a Weston College apprentice because we have a huge range of vacancies with supportive employers.
“Apprenticeships are a fantastic alternative to full-time classroom-based study.”
Figures also show a rise in the number of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) apprenticeships in the district.
The North Somerset Enterprise and Technology College (NSETC), currently based in Locking Road, specialises in STEM fields and offers a range of apprenticeships.
Work is due to start on a £12million NSETC building, at the Enterprise Area near junction 21 of the M5, later this year after planning permission was approved earlier this month.
The expansion will mean even more apprenticeships will be available in the Weston area.